Skin health is so important, especially when summer comes around and those UV rays get all the more stronger. I have already had my first sunburn of the year! Ouch! One summer a few years back my face got really badly sunburnt. My right cheek was so bad that it kind of scabbed over (gross I know!)... even though I had been wearing factor 15 which was clearly not enough. Since that day, I have never worn lotion that is less than SPF 30 for my whole body. You still get a lovely tan but it made me realise I really do need to look after my skin.
However, it's not just on holiday you need to be careful. Your daily routine is just as important.
Now here are some of my tops tips for fresh and glowing summer skin! (Find all links below)
1. Water. Drink plenty of water. The daily recommendation is 2 litres but if you drink more than this even better. Especially when it is warm. Do go over board though... You can drink TOO much!
2. Moisturise. I moisturise everyday after my shower. I feel like when I get out of the shower my skin feels instantly dryer. You don't need anything super expensive, as long as it does the job. I use Boots Simply Sensitive. It has SPF 15 which is great as my foundation doesn't.
3. SPF. Lots of foundations these days have SPF in them which is great. It means everyday you are wearing your foundation you have a little bit of protection too. If your foundation doesn't have SPF then use a moisturiser that does! And of course up the anti on holiday. I use SPF 30 on my face but if I feel any burning at all, I always have factor 50 on hand. I use Piz Buin Ultra Light face fluid. It's not greasy at all which I love!
4. Fake it. Even better than exposing your self to harmful rays... fake tan! There are some great products on the High Street at reasonable prices. For my face I use Garnier self tan cream, and for my body... I swear by fake bake!
5. Exfoliate. I Exfoilate 2 -3 times a week but no more than that. This is enough to attain healthy glowing skin. Over exfoliating can take too much off the top layer of your skin and make it sore (BIG no no if you are holiday), taking away that desired goodness and glow! Again, I don't use anything over expensive, Boots Simply Sensitive.
6. Q10 plus. Now, you may think I'm mad. For a couple of years now I have been using Nivea Q10 plus anti wrinkle cream. I thought, lets prevent the wrinkles rather than worry once they arrive. So far... it's working! Not a wrinkle in sight... although at 24 maybe that's no surprise. I don't use it much, maybe once or twice a week but it makes me feel like I'm doing my bit to stay looking youthful!
7. Sleep. It's key to healthy looking skin! Although sleep is something we can't always have control over. There's not much you can do if you have a bad nights sleep, but if you can... get at least 8 hours.